How to Successfully Utilize
Associate Attorneys in Your Practice:
A Special 2-Part Series
If you have ever had trouble hiring, training, managing and keeping associate attorneys or you’re thinking about adding an associate attorney and don’t know how, we understand what you’re going through.
In order for our company President, estate planning attorney Philip Kavesh, to build his solo estate planning practice into a successful business (and avoid a mental and physical breakdown), he realized that he had to bring aboard great associate attorneys. But he soon found out that it was easier said than done.
He made all of these mistakes and ran into all of these challenges (which you may have too, or you might soon!):
- Seeking and hiring associates the wrong way - - primarily based on experience and technical expertise!
- Failing to set very specific, measurable goals for associates, right from the start
- Thinking you can just sit them at a desk and put them to work without daily training, supervision and accountability
- Believing that this training and supervision will take up too much of your time and actually hurt your bottom line!
- Believing you can motivate associate attorneys to work harder and stay longer (so you can make a return on your investment!) by simply providing a good salary and comfortable work environment
- Your associates didn’t work “hard” enough (or at the quality level you expected)
- They spent too much time on non-revenue producing activities (which you couldn’t bill to clients)
- Your associates couldn’t “close” engagements anywhere near the level you could (or at least the level they should)
- They couldn’t seem to focus on getting work completed and out the door so we got paid (lots of files were 80% done and monthly cash flow was completely unpredictable)
- Associates came and went through a “revolving door” (and the constant disruption to the firm and our clients was a disaster!)
Phil didn’t know what to do, because like most attorneys, he had never been taught how to run a successful business - - including how to find, hire, train, manage and compensate associate attorneys so that they were motivated, consistently producing the results he wanted, and staying with him long-term. Almost miraculously, once Phil figured out how to find, hire, train and hone his associates’ compensation structure, he found that all of them - - including some of whom he thought were already generating their maximum monthly revenue - - quantum leap their results and his firm’s bottom line! (And now they’ve been with his law firm for 11, 9, 7 and 3 years!)
But, Phil had to learn this through years of expensive and aggravating “trial and error”. But you don’t.
This is why Phil, who has over 35 years of experience in running a successful law practice, has put together a very special 2-part presentation entitled, “How to Successfully Utilize Associate Attorneys in Your Practice”.
PART 1: THE 10 STEPS YOU NEED TO KNOW TO FIND, HIRE, TRAIN, MANAGE & KEEP GREAT ASSOCIATES
In 90 minutes, Phil will go over in detail exactly what you need to know:
- When is the best time to hire an associate attorney and why
- What to look for and not to look for when hiring an associate (including a sample advertisement to use to attract the right attorney and a checklist to use in the job interview)
- Who should conduct the interview process and how (HINT: It’s probably not who you think it should be!)
- How to train and mentor the new associate with the least amount of your time! (including Phil’s “Attorney Success Guide”, a detailed Training Schedule and 3-Day Associate “Crash Course” Outline)
- How to set up detailed monitoring systems that assure accountability and keep you informed and in control of your bottom line! (Including Sample Daily and Weekly Status Reports and a Periodic Review “Report Card”).
- And much more, including the opportunity to ask questions and have Phil help solve your current practice-management and practice-building challenges!
PART 2: 9 STEPS FOR SUCCESSFULLY COMPENSATING & INCENTIVIZING ASSOCIATE ATTORNEYS
In 90-minutes, you will learn how to:
- Set up and implement, step-by-step, an associate attorney compensation structure that’s proven and tested to work!
- Establish both base and bonus compensation standards that assure your monthly revenue and profits will increase!
- Avoid the biggest problems encountered by the “usual” types of bonus formulas
- Track associates’ performance and keep them apprised so they become highly motivated to hit their bonus goals - - every single month!
- Keep your associates productive, happy, and with you for the long term!
- And much, much more!