Income Tax is the New Estate Tax
For many years, the focus of estate planners has been on reducing Estate Tax. But now, with the larger exemption and portability, the bigger issue for most estates (even moderately sized ones) is income tax - - both during lifetime and after death for beneficiaries.
The shift represents a huge opportunity for estate planners in the know. Not only are there newer cutting-edge techniques that can attract clients, there are numerous strategies for upgrading existing client estate plans.
If you’re looking to better serve people and increase your firm’s revenue, you won’t want to miss this eye-opening, practical, 90-minute presentation by nationally renowned estate and tax planning attorney, Martin Shenkman, CPA, MBA, PFS, AEP, JD, entitled, “The New Paradigm: Planning an Estate for Best Income Tax Results”.
You’ll learn the new and different ways that proper estate planning can save significant income taxes for clients and their beneficiaries, including:
- Reducing or eliminating state income taxes
- Avoiding the federal 3.8% surtax on investment income
- Reducing post-death federal and state capital gains taxes such as through
- Pre-death borrowing and gifting
- Use of swap powers
- Negotiating discounts of existing FLPs / LLCs
- Repurposing existing Bypass Trusts, QPRTs, DAPTs
- Taking advantage of states with community property laws
- Using gifts to an ill family member (including “triangulation”)
- Distributing assets out of existing trusts
- Creating Powers of Appointment
- Utilizing Trust Protector provisions
- Post-death administration techniques
- Asset splits / sub-trust funding
- Resolve lifetime BDIT / note sales transactions
- Basis adjustment for FLP / LLC assets
- Plus, the tricks and traps to watch out for when using these planning techniques!
- Program Title: The New Paradigm: Planning an Estate for Best Income Tax Results
- Speaker: Martin M. Shenkman
- Duration: 90 Minutes
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
J.D., CPA, MBA
Martin “Marty” Shenkman, Esq., CPA, MBA is an estate planning attorney and Certified Public Accountant from Paramus, New Jersey. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania 1977 with a concentration in accounting and economics. He received a Masters degree in Business Administration from the University of Michigan 1981, with a concentration in tax and finance. Mr. Shenkman is a widely quoted expert on tax matters and is a regular source for numerous financial and business publications, including The Wall Street Journal, Fortune, Money, The New York Times, and others. He has appeared as a…
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING CE CREDIT
The Ultimate Estate Planner, Inc. and the presenter are not registered Continuing Education Sponsors and this program is not pre-approved for continuing education credit for any state or regulatory agency.
However, please note that each program includes a Certificate of Completion and, depending on the license and the regulatory agency for which governs a participant’s CE credit, some professionals may be able to self-report his or her participation and receive credit. It is the responsibility of the participant to complete any process necessary to seek self-reported CE credit for his or her participation. By registering for a teleconference (or purchasing on On-Demand program), you understand that CE credit is not guaranteed or warranted by the presenter or The Ultimate Estate Planner, Inc.