The JEST Trust Just Might Be the Perfect
Revocable Trust Planning Structure for Many Clients!
Many married clients in non-community property states may wish to use what is known as a Joint Exempt Step-Up Trust (or “JEST” Trust) to lock up considerable wealth preservation and income tax planning benefits. Many community property couples transmute out of community property status and put the assets in a JEST to enhance creditor protection.
The JEST may not only cause a step-up in income tax basis of all of the couple’s assets on the death of the first spouse, it may cause an additional step-up in income tax basis upon the death of the surviving spouse. The JEST structure also preserves the assets of both spouses upon the death of the first spouse by protecting against undue influence, creditor claims and possible future estate tax liability.
Learn the nuances and advantages of the JEST structure by joining us and nationally-renowned estate planning attorneys, Alan S. Gassman and Christopher J. Denicolo, for a straightforward and practical presentation entitled, “The Joint Exempt Step-Up Trust: Wealth Protection and Income Tax Benefits for Non-Community Property State Clients”.
During this 57-minute program, you will find out:
- Which clients should consider implementing a JEST structure
- How does the JEST work?
- What are the tax advantages associated with the JEST?
- IRS guidance and Rulings regarding joint trusts
- Other considerations in drafting joint trusts
- How the JEST Trust provides for unique situations
- And much more!
Your purchase includes an instantly downloadable Video & Audio Recording, and PDF Handouts. You get all of this and more for your office for just $149. A PDF transcript is available as an add-on for an additional fee.
ADD ON THE TRUST FORMS TO YOUR PURCHASE
If you would like to get the JEST trust forms so that you can prepare these trusts for your clients, you will want to get The Joint Exempt Step-Up Trust (“JEST”) Legal Document Form Package (which includes this educational program) for a one-time licensing fee of $1,495. In addition to this 57-minute educational program, you will also receive:
- The JEST Trust (Joint Trust) Legal Document Form which comes in a 70-page modifiable Microsoft Word document with all of the necessary provisions to implement the JEST Trust for your clients.
- A Client Explanation Letter to be given to clients to help them understand what the JEST Trust is, what options they have and provide them with a thorough overview of the JEST Trust they received.
- The JEST Trust Steps Chart that shows the four steps from drafting to implementation of the JEST Trust strategy.
- A JEST Trust Marketing Handout which is a modifiable one-page flyer summarizing the JEST Trust, its benefits and why clients should consider this strategy in their overall estate planning. This flyer can be used with clients, prospective clients and professional referral sources.
- The “JEST Lite” Legal Document Form which comes in a 55-page modifiable Microsoft Word document and was developed to accommodate clients with smaller asset basis who do not want the complexity associated with the complete JEST, but want a good chance at a stepped-up income tax basis of all trust assets on the first death. The JEST Lite can also provide the benefit of having all trust assets locked up in trust for the benefit of the surviving spouse upon the death of the first dying spouse.
- The JEST Lite Summary Sheet which is a simple one-page flyer explaining the “JEST Lite” in a client-friendly and plain-English format.
- A 36-minute training video going over how to use the JEST Trust form.
- A Free Trial of EstateView Software
All of the legal document forms come in a modifiable Microsoft Word format for you to be able to easily modify, edit and assemble (or add to your existing word processing software). The documents included in this package were originally designed and drafted for Mr. Gassman’s law firm based out of Florida, so purchasers will need to review the documents and their individual state laws and statutes. NOTE: This is NOT a software program and there are no automated/macro-type functions with our forms.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
J.D., LL.M. (Taxation), Florida State Bar Certified Specialist in Wills, Trusts & Estates, AEP (Distinguished)
Alan S. Gassman, J.D., LL.M. (Taxation) is a partner of Gassman Law Associates in Clearwater, Florida. Mr. Gassman is a Florida State Bar Certified Legal Specialist in Wills, Trusts and Estates Law and a member of the National Association of Estate Planners and Councils. Mr. Gassman graduated from Rollins College with a B.A., with distinction, in Business Administration and Accounting. He went on to earn both his J.D., with honors, and LL.M. in Taxation from the University of Florida. He is currently licensed to practice law in the state of Florida. Mr. Gassman is currently a Fellow of the American…
J.D., LL.M. (Estate Planning), Florida State Bar Certified Specialist in Estate Planning
Christopher J. Denicolo, J.D., LL.M. (Estate Planning), MBA is a partner of Gassman Law Associates in Clearwater, Florida. Mr. Denicolo is a Florida State Bar Certified Legal Specialist in Estate Planning and a member of the Florida State Bar Association and the Clearwater Bar Association. Mr. Denicolo graduated from Florida State University in 2004, he earned both his M.B.A. and J.D. from Stetson University in 2007, and then earned his LL.M. in Estate Planning from University of Miami in 2008. Mr. Denicolo is a contributing author to Leimberg Information Services and for The Florida Bar Journal.
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING CE CREDIT
The Ultimate Estate Planner, Inc. and the presenter are not registered Continuing Education Sponsors and this program is not pre-approved for continuing education credit for any state or regulatory agency.
However, please note that each program includes a Certificate of Completion and, depending on the license and the regulatory agency for which governs a participant’s CE credit, some professionals may be able to self-report his or her participation and receive credit. It is the responsibility of the participant to complete any process necessary to seek self-reported CE credit for his or her participation. By registering for a teleconference (or purchasing on On-Demand program), you understand that CE credit is not guaranteed or warranted by the presenter or The Ultimate Estate Planner, Inc.