IRS Ruling Opens New Tax Planning Opportunities
For Same-Sex Married Couples
Since the Supreme Court’s overturning of DOMA in the Windsor decision, many questions have remained unanswered regarding its effect on income, gift and estate taxes, as well as health and retirement benefits. Until now.
The IRS has spoken! On August 29th, the IRS released its breakthrough Revenue Ruling 2013-17 offering clarity and guidance on many previously open issues - - and reveals numerous planning opportunities for your clients, if you’re “in the know”.
Whether you’re a CPA, financial advisor, or attorney, join us and nationally renowned CPA and tax authority, Robert Keebler, CPA, MST, AEP, for a very timely discussion entitled, “Breakthrough IRS Ruling for Same-Sex Married Couples”.
In this program, we will address:
- What will the IRS consider a legal same-sex marriage? (How will Domestic Partnerships and Civil Unions be treated?)
- What will happen if a couple moves to a state that does not recognize a legal same-sex marriage?
- Will couples be able to obtain income tax and estate and gift tax refunds for prior years?
- What will now be the income tax effect of one “spouse” being covered by the other’s employer health insurance plan?
- How will Qualified Retirement Plan and IRA beneficiary and income tax planning be changed?
- And much more!