What’s Now the Best Way
To Plan to Use the First Spouse to Die’s
Unused Exemption Amount?
(You need to know how IRS Revenue Procedure 2016-49 and
newly issued Revenue Procedure 2017-34 have tipped the scale!)
Ever since “portability” of the first spouse to die’s unused exemption (or “DSUEA”) became law, estate planners have been trying to figure out the best way to go about structuring their documents. Should you still use the traditional bypass trust? Or some new variation of it (including second death step-up provisions)? Or use a QTIP trust?
Well, thanks to Rev. Proc. 2016-49, the QTIP alternative has been enhanced. And, further, recently-issued Rev. Proc. 2017-34 has simplified this process. There’s no time better than right now for advisors to recalibrate our previous analysis as to what works best for our clients.
Please join us and Robert S. Keebler, CPA/PFS, MST, AEP (Distinguished), CGMA on Thursday, August 24th, 2017 at 9am Pacific Time (12pm Eastern Time) for a 90-minute teleconference entitled, “The Pros and Cons of Using the Portability QTIP, After Rev. Proc. 2016-49 & 2017-34”.
On this call you’ll learn:
- What exactly is the planning opportunity confirmed by Rev. Proc. 2016-49
- How Rev. Proc. 2017-34, made effective June 9, 2017, has defined a “simplified procedure” for this
- How the “Portability QTIP” can be used to combine asset protection and a step-up at the second death
- How the Portability QTIP can be further used to combine GST protection and a step-up at the second death
- What are the mathematics of the Portability QTIP compared to the traditional Bypass Trust and a Bypass Trust including a formula step-up provision
- How the use of the Portability QTIP compares to an outright spousal gift at death
- How the Portability QTIP makes sense in a second marriage
- How to chart the best course for IRAs
- Does a Portability QTIP make sense compared to a spousal rollover?
- How the minimum distribution rules work with a spousal rollover vs. Bypass Trust vs. QTIP trust
- Understanding the varied required minimum distribution results with a spousal rollover, Bypass Trust and QTIP trust
- And much, much more!